Disasters are unforeseen calamities that can be man-made or natural and can be a reason for a loss of many things. One such thing that can be demolished by fire, flood etc is data center . Keeping this in mind, steps should be taken beforehand to be prepared for such unforeseen calamities. In this blog, we’ll know about the checklist to take actions in the aftermath of a disaster.
So, here it is which includes steps to be taken before, during and after a disaster:
BEFORE THE DISASTER-:
- A backup should be made on a regular and daily basis
- It should be checked whether it includes redundant onsite and offsite backup storage
- The backup system should be tested which should also include a entire restoration in case of a total system failure
- It should be checked beforehand whether a system can be restored to an entirely different set of hardware. This should be done if the local hardware has been destroyed or is entirely unreachable
- There should be safe and duplicate copies of important information like password, username and software licensing information. The copies should be in many places which should include a protected offsite location.
- The hardware (like disk drives, servers, and network components) should be hot swappable
- Your disaster recovery plan should be scalable and supple to respond to a variety of situations
DURING THE DISASTER-:
Depending on the time you have after evacuation, one of the following four types of backup can be done which will help you restore much faster when things settle down.
- The quickest kind of backup is the one which includes the backup of the most important files.
- The second of backup that can be done is a differential backup. Such backup creates backup of all new and recently modified files while on the other hand a backup copy of old files is kept
- Third kind of backup is an incremental backup which only creates a backup of newly created files and newly modified files
- The last kind of backup is the one that includes a complete backup of all files, system, configuration, security setting etc.
AFTER THE DISASTER:
After the disaster, there is a lot of chaos all around for a long time. So here are a few points to guide you:
- Before you switch on power or any other alternate source, make sure that the operations and the equipments are in order.
- Make sure that other infrastructure is in order which includes HVAC systems, utilities, communications, fire alarms, fire extinguishers, etc.
- Everyone should have a recovery plan and should understand what to do.
- The damages should be estimated. What needs repair or what needs replacement should be noted.
- There might be chances that the present location is not adequate anymore. In such cases, an alternate location should be present with proper power source and equipments
- Once fully functional equipment is in place, the restoration process should begin and since it has already been tested, it shouldn’t be hard
Click to read about- Disaster Recovery Management: Causes & Prevention
Nothing can be covered 100%, but prevention is always better than cure
The process should be done in a methodical way and you shouldn’t rush into it to avoid further problems. After the process is completed thoroughly, check that everything is where it should be. I hope this will help you in times of disaster, though I hope none comes. But in case something does happens, I hope this is will help in recovering datacenter from a disaster.